Flu vaccinations will be available from September 2018, please contact the practice if you have not had your flu jab but believe you are entitled.
A free flu vaccination is offered to:
- adults 65 and over (including adults over 18 at risk of flu)
- pregnant women
- children aged 2 and 3
- children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (Usually vaccinated at school)
- children aged 2 to 17 years at risk of flu
For 2018, there are 3 types of flu vaccine:
- a live quadrivalent vaccine (which protects against 4 strains of flu), given as a nasal spray. This is for children and young people aged 2 to 17 years eligible for the flu vaccine
- a quadrivalent injected vaccine. This is for adults aged 18 and over but below the age of 65 who are at increased risk from flu because of a long-term health condition and for children 6 months and above in an eligible group who cannot receive the live vaccine
- an adjuvanted trivalent injected vaccine. This is for people aged 65 and over as it has been shown to be more effective in this age group. Flu vaccinations will be offered to everyone over 65 by December so make sure you get vaccinated by then. Unfortunately due to high demand the vaccines for patients Over 65 years of age are out of stock until mid October. Please contact the surgery to book an appointment for 15th /16th October.
If your child is aged between 6 months and 2 years old and is in a high-risk group for flu, they will be offered an injected flu vaccine as the nasal spray is not licensed for children under 2.
If you are still unsure if you qualify for a free vaccination please contact our reception team on 0161 226 7615